Magical Mexico

Magical Mexico
Image from Dia de los Muertes...click on the pic for more information

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday morning in Mexcio City

Buenos Dias Amigos,
It is amazing how natrual it is to adjust to a new setting, to being in a world that is quite different. We really are built for it, to adapt and adjust, I see it all the time in my work.  The touchpoint is always people.  As I have talked with the staff here at Casa Gonzalez, the other travelers staying here (from France, Israel, Scotland), even bus drivers and artists I've met on the streets, my comfort and sense of security have naturally increased.  My early anxiety and worry have given way to excitement and a real joy to be here in Mexico. 

I do love this country, its people, history, mystery and that life here is lived upfront.  It is not always pretty but it is always interesting, creative, energizing and a bit, okay a lot, overwhelming.  The thing to living with it "upfront" is that there is no fantasy that life is perfect or better said, it is perfect in its imperfection.  That I am here for Dia de Los Muertos, Day of the Dead, kind of says it all.  There is death, sadness but also glorious, riotous joy and LIFE.  Honoring the dead leads us to honoring the living and honoring our own lives. 

I feel, not just happy, but fortunate to be here.  There are lessons and gifts that Mexico offers to a perfectionist driven (though never achieving in my case) American.  When I first arrived, still keyed up and jittery, Elana, the manager at Casa Gonzalez told me, "It's time to relax, just sit and enjoy."  So, I did!  My wish for you today is that same sentiment:  relax, sit and enjoy! 

1 comment: